When you are moving across country, you may need someone to move your car for you. This might be because you have more than one vehicle or because you have an expensive car that you don’t want to drive that far. There are other reasons, of course, but these are the most common.
You need to look at many different companies that can transport your vehicle. You can check to find cheap auto transport, but you also want the best auto transport. This can be the same company, but you need to read reviews to make sure that you are getting your money’s worth.
This article will help you to get your vehicle ready for transport. There are many things that you need to do to get it ready. You can also do more research to find more information.
Preparing Your Car
- Wash Your Vehicle – Wash your vehicle before you allow the carrier to pick it up. This will help you to see if there are scratches or dents in it. The carrier will make a list of all the damage before they pick up your vehicle. It would be good for you to make a list of everything before they arrive.
- Take Pictures – Take pictures of your car to show any damage – or to show that there is no damage. This is just one way to document your car – make sure that you date the photos: https://fuelandfriction.com/weekend-warrior/common-mistakes-to-avoid-when-shipping-a-vehicle/. If damage happens during transport, you will have the pictures to show that the damage wasn’t there before.
- Take Pictures of the Odometer – While you are taking pictures of your car, include one of the odometer. You can then compare it to when the car is delivered to make sure that no one has taken it for a joyride. There will be some movement on the odometer, but it shouldn’t be much.
- Clean the Interior – Clean the interior of your auto when you are cleaning the exterior. Make sure that there is nothing left in the interior. While on the carrier, your car will be bouncing around a lot, and you don’t want to have anything inside that could damage things. If it can move or bounce around, remove it for the safety of your car.
- Secure or Remove Accessories – When you are cleaning the interior, make sure that you remove any accessories that can’t be secured. This means the things that are on the exterior, as well. Remove those bike racks, custom spoilers, and ski racks, so that they won’t cause any damage to your vehicle or anyone else’s.
- Check the Radiator, Battery, and Tires – Check these parts of your auto to make sure that they all work correctly. If there are problems, have them fixed before you transport your auto. It will be ready for you to drive when it is delivered to its destination.
- Check for Fluid Leaks – Check to make sure that your auto isn’t leaking any fluids, and if it is, have it fixed. Top off all the fluids at the same time so that you don’t have to do it later. If you have a bad leak, the carrier may refuse to take it with them.
- Address Engine and Mechanical Issues – If your vehicle is inoperable, let the company know so that they can have the proper equipment ready for you. Check here to see what else you should look at. You can make sure that the engine is in good condition and that there are no mechanical issues so that you can save some money. The carrier will charge you more if your auto is inoperable.
- Leave at Least a Quarter Tank of Gas – You will need that much gas in your tank so that it can be moved on and off the carrier. You can have a little less than that, but a quarter tank will also allow you to drive to a gas station near the destination. You don’t want any more than that because it is lighter, and therefore cheaper, for transport.
- Disable Your Alarms – You don’t want the alarms to be going off while your car is in transport. Make sure that these are all turned off before the carrier loads your car. If you don’t know how to disable the alarms, call the dealership you bought the car from, they can help you.
There are a few things that you need to do before you transport your car. You want to make sure that it is ready for travel and won’t be damaged in transit. Doing these things will help your car to be transported safely.
You want to make sure that you wash your car and make sure to take pictures of any damage. You also want to remove any accessories on the interior and exterior so that they aren’t broken in transit. Make sure that your vehicle is safe for everyone.